We hope you had a great day at Summit. Here’s what you need to know about Thursday.
Data Drivers award winners
The Chris Clouse Project rocked the house at last night’s Snowball event. There was also a special presentation to the many winners of the Data Driver awards.
Congrats to the Data Drivers award winners!
- 2019 Data Driver of the Year: Capital One
- Machine Learning Masters: Netflix
- Data Sharing Leaders: Blackboard
- Data for Good: Kiva
- Data Executive of the Year: Helen Hunter, Group Chief Data Officer at Sainsbury
- Data Pioneer of the Year: Avinash Deshpande, Chief Software Architect at Logitech
- Data Science Manager of the Year: Indrasis Mondal, Director of Big Data Engineering & Data Products at Hulu
- Best Data Team: Square’s BI & Analytics team, led by Julia King
Recap of closing keynote
This afternoon, Matthew Glickman, Snowflake VP of Customer and Product Strategy, gave the closing keynote, titled “The Journey to Becoming Data-Driven.”
Matthew began the keynote by sharing a common scenario of Snowflake customers: legacy databases that have fundamental deficiencies and that management is not even sure work anymore. This is combined with an environment stalled by the lack of business buy-in and the burden of legacy technical debt.
The journey to being data-driven can be a challenge, but it’s one worth taking. Your business needs to achieve a single source of truth. Without it, you won’t fully understand who your customers are or be able to differentiate your products and services from the competition.
Matthew went on a data-driven journey in a past job. He saw the challenge of gathering the data that mattered while at Goldman Sachs during the 2008 financial crisis. He needed to see a broader picture of all aspects of the banking business, which hadn’t mattered as urgently before.
He gathered data into a central location that thousands of people needed to access on a real-time basis. Having access to this centralized data helped the organization manage its way into a post-crisis world.
To show how Snowflake users have made their journey to become data-driven, Matthew invited several Snowflake customers to the stage:
- Brian Dumman, Chief Data and Analytics Officer, McKesson
- Michal Klos, Senior Director of Engineering, Indigo/Localytics
- Yaniv Bar-Dayan, Cofounder and CEO, Vulcan Cyber
As the customer stories showed, Snowflake has the capabilities to be your trusted expert to guide you from base camp to the summit of mastering your data.
The Snowflake ecosystem (for example, training, resources, partners, professional services, documentation, and so on) exists to help your journey to becoming data-driven.
Big thanks go to Brian, Michal, and Yaniv for speaking during the closing keynote and thanks to all who attended!
Subscribe to the Snowflake blog
On the Snowflake blog, we cover market news, cloud data security, how to use Snowflake, modern data sharing, and more. Subscribe to the Snowflake blog to stay up to date on the latest news and happenings at Snowflake.